Blog 1.4

These are the anxiety treats I give Jerzey.
Jerzey laying down and staying. I didn't notice his eyes looked weird in this...oops.
Jerzey knows so many other tricks that aren't requirements for the CGC. One of his favorites is shake. He can shake from either paw or both! His favorite trick is roll over. 
This is Jerzey(left) and Rocco(right) sitting down for their treat.


 Hey Guys! So before I start writing my blog, some people had a few questions. There was one question about the anxiety treats I give to Jerzey and what they were called. I give Jerzey the treats that I took a picture of above. He gets one in the morning and one in the evening. I use to give him the Purina treats, but he did not like those as much. I have seen a change in his anxiety while giving him these treats. He is a lot more calm and listens to my commands easier. 

    Another question I got was if I train Jerzey on just our walks and if I will continue walking him when it starts to get cold. I do train Jerzey on our walks. It is the perfect environment for him to learn because it is something different from our home. When we are certified, he will not always be in our house, so that is why I decided to train him outside. I also train him inside. For example, we work on sit, lay down, and stay in my house almost every time I see him. When the weather gets to be unbearable, I will be training him inside almost all of the time. In previous years, I have walked him when it was very cold outside, so we will see what I find bearable this year!

    Okay now I will start with my blog! So this week did not go as planned. I wanted to bring Jerzey to meet some new dogs and people, but my family got tested for covid so we had to quarantine until we get our results. Being said, Jerzey and I worked a lot inside this week. We worked on the usual sit, stay and lay down commands. One requirement that we need to perfect for the certification is for Jerzey to act calm and stay put while I give somebody else his leash and walk away. Because I am so limited on what I can do and who can help me, I had my mom help me with this. I would tell Jerzey to sit and stay and then hand the leash to my mom and walk away. He would have to act normal and not pay attention that I left. He had a hard time with this because he wanted to walk with me! It is something that we definitely need to continue to work on. 

    This week I also watched some Youtube videos about training dogs to not pay attention to the "outside world"-everything but me. This next blog we are going to be working a lot on that and hopefully I can go out and bring him to a crowd and meet some people and dogs. 

    P.S. Tuesday was Jerzey's 5th birthday, so he got extra hugs and treats that day!

Comments

  1. I love your picture's he is a very cute dog. I like how you answered people's questions in the beginning of the blog. It was also very impressive that even though you are in quarantine, you still figured how to do your genius hour for the week. Have you followed your action plan? How much time a week do you spend on training him? Overall, I love that you are taking the time and dedication to train him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that you and Jerzey are making such good progress. I think it's awesome how well he loves to learn new tricks and how well you guys get along. I did have a quick question though, why do you give Jerzey those anxiety treats? And I am always here to help you out if you need since we both have to train some stubborn dogs;)
    -Haley

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment